UN Chief Compares Populist Success of Trump and Farage to Islamic State
Posted by addisethiopia on December 9, 2016
Nigel Farage and Donald Trump are “populists and demagogues” using tactics comparable to Islamic State (IS), and the success of populism in 2016 echoes “fascist rhetoric”, the United Nation’s rights chief has said.
Jordanian aristocrat Prince Zeid bin Ra’ad Zeid al-Hussein, the current UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, blamed populism for an alleged rise in “hate crimes” and warned of the “banalization of bigotry” in Europe, according to the Telegraph.
He also took aim at Dutch nationalist Geert Wilders, Prime Minister Viktor Orban of Hungary, and French Front National leader Marine Le Pen in a speech this Monday at a gala dinner organized by the Hague-based Peace, Justice and Security Foundation.
“2016 has been a disastrous year for human rights across the globe,” Mr. Zeid said. “If the growing erosion of the carefully constructed system of human rights and rule of law continues to gather momentum, ultimately everyone will suffer.”
He added: “In some parts of Europe, and in the United States, anti-foreigner rhetoric full of unbridled vitriol and hatred, is proliferating to a frightening degree, and is increasingly unchallenged”.
Compared right-wing populism to Islamic State terrorists, he claiming the “mode of communication, its use of half-truths and oversimplification, the propaganda of [IS] uses tactics similar to those of the populists.”
Singling out Mr. Wilders’ call to stop asylum seekers entering his country and for a ban on Muslim schools, the UN boss said the policy proposals were “grotesque” and urged the audience “to speak out and up” against them.
“We will not be bullied by you the bully, nor fooled by you the deceiver, not again,” he insisted.
In a text message responding to the Telegraph’s requests for a reaction to the speech, Mr Wilders wrote: “Another good reason to get rid of the UN. I lost my freedom in my fight for freedom, and I don’t want my country to lose its freedom as well.
“That’s why we have to de-Islamize. Islam and freedom are incompatible whatever this Jordanian bureaucrat says.”
This morning, Mr. Wilders was found guilty of “incitement to discrimination” by a Dutch court. He branded the trial a politically motivated “charade” that endangered freedom of speech.
- An Arab lecturing us about human rights… Isn’t that a bit like a cannibal talking about the evils of eating meat?
- The fact that an Arab occupies that position tells us all we need to know about the way things are going.
- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Someone from a Muslim country talking about Human Rights. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
- I’ve seen a lot of Muslims lecturing the western world recently. These morons have ruined their countries now they want ruin ours.
- Arab political culture knows nothing but violence lies and extortion as they regularly display. Its long past time to learn from history and be real in dealing with the Barbary pirates
- Smells like desperation
- The UN is now a tool of islam-sharia. Time to dump it.
- Jordanian Aristocrat my arse …First of all there’s no such thing on the planet as a “Jordanian Aristocrat” Secondly and thanks to Donald J Trump the UN will be redundant shortly